Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ready, set, go!

My apartment is clean, my taxes are done, and my freezer is stocked with Costco goods. I am ready for the next term. It just so happens this will be my last term of classes before starting rotations. Now that is a scary thought. Come July I will be hitting the hospitals and caring for patients. Yikes. To be honest, it still doesn't even feel like I'm really in medical school. I mean, yeah, I'm in school, and working my butt off, but it doesn't feel like how I thought it would feel. My school is a little different. Our main campus is outside of the city and does not have a teaching hospital on the grounds like most other schools. Sure, there is the VA hospital next door, but it's not the same. So, because of this, I feel my medical school education has been different from those who attend other medical schools. You don't see clinicians walking around in their white coats, getting pages and rushing off to see patients. Not that there is anything wrong with this. In fact a lot of my professors write board review books, and my school is known for its students getting good board scores and great residency placements. But it still doesn't feel like how I thought it would feel. So this change coming in July is pretty huge. Not just because I'll be in the hospital, but because I think I'll finally feel like I am truly in medical school.

It's exciting, but I also kind of want to pee my pants.

No comments: