Saturday, February 6, 2010

Another Saturday spent studying

One of the things a lot of people don't understand about med school, or any other ridiculously rigorous academic program, is the amount of studying you have to put in to know the material. Sure, everyone is all happy and excited and proud to hear you are on this journey, but when you tell them you can't do this or can't do that because you have to study, they just kind of don't believe you. They ask, "well can't you just do it tomorrow?" Um, no, because tomorrow I have another 8 hours of studying other stuff I have to do.

Not that this is directed at any one person. I mean I probably didn't really know what I was getting myself into before starting. I don't think anyone really knows until you are in the middle of it. So here I am, in the middle, not doing much of anything except studying. Incredibly boring, but totally required. So don't get mad if my posts become less frequent and less interesting, m'kay?

Plus the whole Step 1 business coming up. Yikes. Let's not dwell on that.

So life is pretty much the same. Get up, go to class, do some studying, fit in some meetings, more studying, and when I need a break, I'll put something on Netflix while I flip through flash cards or tab my notes for quick reference.

But I think I found a roommate for next year! And sometimes, just sometimes, I'll browse Craigslist for apartments in the city, dreaming of a more exciting life during rotations next year.

No comments: