Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Apartment

So several of you have requested that I put up some pictures of my apartment, and being that it is past 11pm and I do not feel like reading up on various cell transport mechanisms, I will gladly oblige!

Here are some facts:
It is approximately 650 square feet.
I have it all to myself. No crazy roommate stories here.
While I do look out onto another housing building, I also get a partial view of a little pond and pavilion. The pond has koi, ducks, swans, and I even spotted a young heron there last week. I'll add pictures if I ever leave my apartment and remember to take my camera with me.

Here is the floor plan:

And now for some pics!

My kitchen is so small that all the cupboards are full of plates and glasses and baking stuff (okay, so maybe it's not that small- I just have a lot of kitchen stuff). Anyway, I had to convert part of my hall closet to the pantry so I would have somewhere to put non-refrigerated items.

This is looking from the front door into the living room. The kitchen is on the left and the hall closet is on the right (not visible in picture). The door that you do see on the right is to the heating/cooling unit.

This is from the same position, just looking more into the kitchen. Notice the drawers I had to buy from IKEA since the kitchen only has two, and they are tiny.


They're hard to see, but there are red arrows pointing to the two drawers I mentioned. They are not even wide enough to put a cutlery organizer in. Sheesh.


In the kitchen looking toward the living area.


My study area. The desk seemed a lot bigger before all my crap was on it.


Printer, stereo, wooden monkey...the usuals.


The couch and tv as seen from near the study area.

A better shot of the dining area. Actually, more dining goes on in front of the tv, and more dumping off of the books goes on here. Oh well.


The living area as viewed from the corner I shoved the tv into. The door between the kitchen and study area goes into the boudoir.


Into the giant bedroom....


Seriously, it is quite large. Almost as large as the living area. I don't really know what to do with all the space.



Down this hallway is the bathroom on the left and a closet on the right. The door directly in the back houses a little area in case you want to add a washer and dryer. There are some down the hall that work just fine, so I added a tension rod and made it into more closet space.


My little bathroom. This room had no drawers at all (clearly not designed by a woman), so I had to add that little plastic monstrosity you see under the counter. Not very pretty but it gets the job done. Kind of.

Some other stuff about the apartment...
It is on the third floor of a five story building.
There is a patio on the next floor up that I still have yet to check out.
My floor has study rooms, so I don't have to go all the way over the library if I need a quiet study space.
The school is right by a Navy training base, so I here the recruits during the day chanting things. I also here bugle calls and canons firing on occassion.
There are also Army and Marine posts (posts? offices? I'm not sure really, I've just seen Army and Marine signs around, too), so I am pretty much surrounded by the US Military. I'm either really safe with all this protection or really vulnerable because this would be an excellent place to attack. I prefer to think I am safe. I'm sure my parents prefer that as well.

3 comments:

OMDG said...

I have THE SAME desk. And you're right, it seems so much bigger before all my junk got deposited on top of it.

Unknown said...

Congrats, Timmie!!
Best of Luck to you and enjoy your new surroundings. Cute apartment!
Take care.
Pamela

Timzie said...

OMG - yeah, it looked sooo much bigger at IKEA. Oh well. And as someone who is also going into medicine after several years in the work force, I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for checking out mine!

Pamela - Thanks! Hope you are enjoying life in Texas!