Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My life for the next year

So I pretty much know what I will be doing for the next year now. I don't know where yet, but I know what, and when.

Confused? I got my track lottery results. Still confused? M'kay, it goes a little something like this....

At my school we rotate at various hospitals in and around Chicago. We go through a lottery process for everything. So, each student starts out with 20 points. Our first lottery is for track assignments. The breakdown is 8 weeks medicine, 8 weeks surgery, 8 weeks family med-emergency med, 6 weeks neuro-ambulatory care, 6 weeks pediatrics, 6 weeks ob/gyn, and 6 weeks psychiatry (anything listed with 2 has each one taking up half the 8 or 6 weeks). There are 24 possible combinations for us to choose from for what order we want to do these in. We have to rank them all and assign them points (if we want to waste points on them - we only get 20 total, and that covers track lottery, hospital lotteries, and sub-i lottery 4th year). Last Friday we turned in our track rankings, and we just found out what track we got.

So I've got neuro-ac, peds, ob/gyne, psych, Christmas break, family med-emed, medicine, and surgery last (bleh!). Not exactly what I was hoping for (I got my 13th choice - ouch!) but oh well. At least I am doing surgery last. And the neuro-ac slot allows for lots of free time, so I guess I will be enjoying my summer! I guess it could be worse.

Also, Mom and Dad, I know I haven't talked to either of you in a while - sorry! I'm really starting to freak out about exams and step 1, so I'm kind of Ms. Crazy Pants right now. And when I do think to call, it's usually pretty late. So know I love you and miss you, and just can't get my sh*t together to pick up the phone. :)

No comments: