Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I saw a cervix!

For reals! Today was the first day of my preceptorship. Over the course of the year I'll spend 7 (well 6 now) afternoons with a physician, shadowing him, talking with patients, and hopefully getting to do some HPIs (history of present illness for you non-medical folk) and some physicals. Well, that is what I'm supposed to do. But I'm working with an OB/Gyn doc, so I really don't know how much of the physicals stuff I'll be doing. But whatevs. I will have to learn how to do a pelvic exam in the spring so maybe the doc will let me jump in then. Hmm. Probably still no.

Anyhoo, I was really nervous today, but it was really interesting. I have to say, I think I learn much better when there is an actual person involved. It makes everything so much more real. And yes, I did see a cervix. I witnessed my first annual exam. Kind of gross, but also interesting from this end. Now I'll be able to picture exactly what is going on when I get mine!

Okay, off to read up on endometriosis, fibroids, and PID, oh my!

No comments: